Strathroy’s only independent jewelry store is preparing for a major transition as its longtime owners take steps toward semi-retirement.
James O. Poag Jewellers, located at 94 Frank Street, is scaling back operations after nearly 70 years in business. The decision reflects a shift in lifestyle for owners Jim and Jeffrey Poag, who are looking to spend more time with family and enjoy greater flexibility in their schedules after decades of commitment to the store.
As part of the transition, nearly all in-store inventory is being placed on sale while the business reduces its overall size to become more manageable.
Moving forward, the shop will focus exclusively on jewelry, including sales, custom pieces, and repairs. Items such as clocks, fine china, and giftware will no longer be offered—a change influenced in part by broader industry trends. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, many clock manufacturers have closed, making it increasingly difficult for retailers to source products.
James O. Poag Jewellers first opened its doors on October 2, 1959, and has remained a family-run business ever since. Jim and Jeffrey Poag have each spent nearly 40 years working in the store, continuing the legacy started by their father, James Poag.
While the downsizing marks the end of an era, the business will continue to serve the community in a more focused and sustainable way for years to come.
Written by: L. Dickson